Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Trip to the ER last night

My face ended up on FIRE yesterday and I felt like my skin was starting to flake away so after a few phone calls and with a push to go from my co-workers and Adam -- I headed to the ER. Even Urgent Care said to go, so I went.

I opted to go where I had Hannah at and I am so glad I went with them. It's just the best hospital out there. No wait, walked right in and was getting blood work before I knew it.

They asked a bunch of questions, looked VERY shocked to see my condition, and said they were glad I came in.

Long story short: I'm having what is called an antibiotic eruption. Essentially its the opposite of an allergic reaction and my body is attacking itself.

I also have another less-severe version of Stevens-Johnson Syndom. I am very blessed that I don't have the worse-end of this because I'd be in a burn victim unit at Parklands right now if I was.

Treatment: I just have to ride it out and make sure my skin doesn't start sloffing away or blisters don't show up. If so, I need to go straight to Parkland Hospital to be treated.

How long will this last? Well it could be another week before my body quits attacking itself. Until then I look spotted, blotchy, red, itchy and my skin goes through cycles of being on fire. (fun times). I need to stay away from heat (heat in the car, hot showers, hot baths, heat from my phone and computer and yes working out). Even just now, the computer and phone being on my face (talking to my doctor) made my face start burning up.

I have a fan blowing on me right now.

This sucks, but as much as it sucks and I'm miserable -- I am so lucky it's not something worse. What I did have happen to me is RARE. only 2-3% of people get Steven-Johnson syndrome.

With time, thing should heal. I spoke with my ENT, who prescribed me my antibiotic and I think we are on a halt for all sinus-related treatment until this clears up.

My workouts will be on hold until further notice. Thanks for all the thoughts, well wishes, and prayers. I have really appreciated them! It's also been a blessing knowing we've had so many friends, neighbors and family willing to help us out from watching the girls to giving me medicine.

It's times like this when people's true colors shine.

Shine on,

Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment